Monday 31 August 2009

Somerleyton Hall

A stately pile near Lowestoft made for a pleasant Sunday afternoon trip. The gardens contain some fine trees an excellent yew maze. The house is open, but photography is forbidden inside.














How should I convey the size of a sequoia? I tried the distant shot, but that lacks scale...
























I tried looking up the main trunk - that's better, but still only hints a the size:





















I tried it with people to give a hint of scale, but that meant that the overall height of the tree is lost.























So I went in close and just tried to show the enormous trunk in relative close-up:
















 

The topiary yews around the gardens were very smart and this double archway particularly caught my eye

















I'm not sure what the topiarist had in mind here, but the geometry caught my eye:


















Can't resist a passion flower:


1 comment:

  1. Another place to add to my visit list.

    Like the close up of the tree - don't think you could have done anything to convey the height.

    ReplyDelete