Tuesday 8 December 2009

New toy to play with

I have longed for a fisheye for years, but never got around to getting one until last week; I have bought the Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 DX format lens and tried it out at Cambridge Rugby Club on Saturday for the first time; I don't thing that I will be using it for action shots, but I was pleased with the results from my first attempt. Any do's and don'ts from those with more experience with this type of lens would be most welcome.




This is probably too close, though I quite like the way that it has turned the whole scene, appropriately, into a rugby ball



This would be nice with some serious action framed by the bendy bars, but I'd never get close enough in a real game...

Flexible sponsorship packages available!

2 comments:

  1. Join the club as I love my fish-eye lens. Generally anything is worth trying. When using vertically watch your feet don't get in the shot! You have obviously discovered that you need to keep the horizon level and therefore in the centre of the frame to avoid too much distortion. I tend then to crop top of bottom to throw the interest off the cetnre line.

    I used it at CU football and few times - there is one on my blog (under keyword football) that I particularly liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Chris I have thought about one of these, but not within budget yet, so I tried a bit of Photo-Shopping, instead of the real shopping to get an effect. Ann described the one on the CCC Lightbox as looking like an expensive paperweight. I have tried with some other images and have more restrained results. (my blog has a couple more examples) http://takingawiderview.blogspot.com/

    I have just started the blog, and find it good fun to do. I like the Backs images, lovely tones.

    ReplyDelete